Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-02.txt

Bruce Greenblatt wrote:

> Whether it's a control or an extended operation doesn't seem to have any
> impact on whether it is beneficial to the general LDAPv3 community.

etc.

FWIW it didn't much matter to me whether this is a control on
a regular delete operation or a new operation. Both cost me
about the same to implement.

However, reading Bruce's most recent argument for the
extended operation, I'm inclined to agree. This isn't so
much a subtle modifier to the delete operation than
a completely new variety of operation.

But, I don't feel so strongly about this that, for example,
I'd want to make the standard specify an extended operation
when one major vendor had already shipped a product which
implemented the control. That would, I expect, cost that
vendor much to change their code, and bring everyone else little
practical benefit.

I would like to hear more about how this operation
is to be replicated.