RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-02.txt

At 09:01 AM 11/18/99 -0800, Michael Armijo (Exchange) wrote:
>I do not understand the reasoning for not using a control to extend the
>delete operation for handling a tree delete.  LDAPEXT has traditionally used
>controls to extend or enhance existing operations (Search, VLV).  A control
>here seems obvious and beneficial to the general LDAPv3 community.

Whether it's a control or an extended operation doesn't seem to have any
impact on whether it is beneficial to the general LDAPv3 community.

What LDAPEXT has traditionally done is to use both controls and extended
operations as they see fit, with relatively little guidance from the base
RFCs.  My reasoning for preferring an extended operation over a control is
that I believe that applying the delete operation to the subtree is a
substantial implementation change to the underlying operation.  In the case
of the paged results or sort controls, the implementation of the search
operation is not materially affected. Conceptually, these controls just
change the way in which the results are returned to the LDAP client.

In the case of the Start and Stop TLS operations, these are implemented as
extended operations.  There is no real protocol specific reason why they
could not have been implemented as controls that affect all existing
operations.  It is really jsut a matter of style.  Back to the Delete
subtree operation.  In the case of a vanilla Delete operation, it affects
only one object, only one access control decision must be made, and only
one result needs to be returned.

Not only may this control affect numerous objects, spread across who knows
how many DSAs, depending on the implementation, numerous access control
decisions must be made at various points in the subtree, not all of which
may be known at the root of the subtree.  Furthermore, as this is a long
lived operation, which may take many hours to complete, it is likely that
substantially greater feedback and interaction will be required than is
possible with the Delete operation.  I could go on with more, but suffice
it to say that I think that the implementation of subtree operations can be
very complex.  Just saying that a DSA can deny the operation isn't likely
to be the answer.

Bruce

>Bruce said:
>"It seems to me that the handling of a
>subtree delete that may span across multiple DSAs (aka LDAP servers) must
>be substantially different than the handling of a delete for a single
>object which normally can be implemented by a single DSA."
>
>Agreed.  The tree delete draft takes this into account and allows the server
>to deny the operation if it is not authoritative for any object(s) in the
>scope of the delete.
>
>I do not believe we should tie this functionality to other subtree
>operations.  This would limit the adoption of the base functionality of
>allowing a client to submit a delete request of a subtree.

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com