From: Bruce Greenblatt [mailto:bgreenblatt@directory-applications.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 8:36 AM
To: Michael Armijo (Exchange)
Cc: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-02.txt

Michael,

There was an exchange seeral months back about this.  I still think that
these type of operations are better implemented as extended operations than
as controls to existing operations.  It seems to me that the handling of a
subtree delete that may span across multiple DSAs (aka LDAP servers) must
be substantially different than the handling of a delete for a single
object which normally can be implemented by a single DSA.  My thinking is
that if a control might substantially change how an operation is
implemented by a DSA, it should be implemented as a control.  So, I believe
that the extended operations that I proposed in:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-greenblatt-ldapext-sos-00.txt
are beneficial for server and client implementations of LDAP and should be
progressed on the standards track.

What do people think?  Should this be a control or an extended operation?
Are the other two operations that I proposed useful as well (subtree copy
and subtree modify).

Bruce