Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-02.txt

Michael,

There was an exchange seeral months back about this.  I still think that
these type of operations are better implemented as extended operations than
as controls to existing operations.  It seems to me that the handling of a
subtree delete that may span across multiple DSAs (aka LDAP servers) must
be substantially different than the handling of a delete for a single
object which normally can be implemented by a single DSA.  My thinking is
that if a control might substantially change how an operation is
implemented by a DSA, it should be implemented as a control.  So, I believe
that the extended operations that I proposed in:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-greenblatt-ldapext-sos-00.txt
are beneficial for server and client implementations of LDAP and should be
progressed on the standards track.

What do people think?  Should this be a control or an extended operation?
Are the other two operations that I proposed useful as well (subtree copy
and subtree modify).

Bruce

At 10:46 AM 11/17/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Please review the attached draft on a Tree Delete control for LDAPv3.
>
>I believe this control is beneficial for server and client implementations
>of LDAP and should be progressed on the standards-track.  Please send
>comments on this draft to the LDAPEXT discussion list.
>
>WG Chairs:  It was previously decided that this list is the best place to
>discuss this draft.  If consensus can be reached on this draft, I would like
>to see it progressed through this WG.
>
>thanks,
>Michael

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com