Re: Knowledge Reference Drafts

> At today's ldapext meeting I said that I thought that the two
> Knowledge Reference drafts were overlapping rather than complementary,
> and agreed to send mail about it to the list.
>
> The two drafts I found are at
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-knowledge-00.tx
> t and
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-namedref-00.txt
> - I don't know whether thay are the two that Mark was referring to,
> but they are the only ones listed on the ldapext web page at
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ldapext-charter.html
>
> Rather than handling differeent cases, it looks to me as though the
> knowledge-00 draft describes a more elaborate version of the same idea
> that is in the namedref-00 draft.

As the primary author of the knowledge ID, I would agree with your
assessment. I did give some rationale for this draft to the list when I
originally posted the draft, but I dont know if the rationale has been
kept with the ID

David

>I could be wrong on this - if I am
> then I hereby make a plea for explanatory text in both drafts pointing
> out the relation between them.
>
> If I'm not wrong then I suggest that we need to choose between the two
> drafts rather than to merge them.
>

> Regards,
>
> Chris
> +++++

> ---
>            Chris Harding
>   T H E    Development Manager
>  O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
> G R O U P  Mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org   Ph: +44 118 950 8311 x2262
>            WWW: http://www.opengroup.org    Fx: +44 118 950 0110
>
> OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in the
> US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
> trademarks of The Open Group.
> ---

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J