Re: creatorsName/modifiersName referential integrity

Hi Brian,

Brian Jarvis schrieb:

> RFC 2252, 5.1 Defines some standard operational attributes.  Among them are creatorsName and modifiersName, both syntax DN.  If the object listed as a creator or modifier is deleted, what should happen to the creatorsName and modifiersName attributes that refer to it?

That is part how you handle referential integrity in your server.
creatorsName and modifiersName you should handle the same way as any
other attribute with DN-syntax. I think you should not delete them when
you delete the entry. The question here is not only the delete,
what happens if you make a modifyDN to the DN which is in the
creatorsName. For my opinion the CreatorsName should change whether you
do this as an administrative task or automatically.

> My best guess is that the creatorsName and modifiersName attributes should be removed, leaving the object without those standard operational attributes.

I think its okay that DN's in attribute values exist which doesn't exist
as an entry in that Server. e.g. I think I can replicate a part of my
DIT to some other Server with creatorsName and modifiersName in the
entries and doesn't replicate the Administrators entry for any reason.
The same is the case for ACI which will be replicated complete but
not all DN's which are in the ACI have to be replicated as entries.
 So I think its not really okay to remove all references to a entry in
the
 server when you remove this entry. How will this work in a distributed
environment.
I think you can have administrative prcedures which can do things like
this for referential integrity.

Helmut

> Thoughts?
>
> --the walrus
> a.k.a. Brian Jarvis
> bjarvis@novell.com

>                Name: TEXT.htm
>    TEXT.htm    Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)
>            Encoding: base64
begin:vcard
n:Volpers;Helmut
tel;fax:+49-89-636-45860