Re: creatorsName/modifiersName referential integrity

Here are some issues that need to be addressed:

1. What about "manager", "secretary", "uniqueMember" or any other attribute types with syntax DN? Should they follow the same rule?

2. What if the creatorsName of Entry1 hosted by DSA1 points to the DN of an Entry2 hosted by DSA2. In case Entry2 is deleted from DSA2, should then DSA2 notify DSA1 of this operation so that DSA1 can delete the creatorsName of Entry1? How would DSA2 know which DSA(s) to
notify of its own entry deletions?

3. Similar to 2. but for ModRDN operations.

etc...

These are issues that in my opinion will be addressed in a later stage of the protocol evolution: a relational LDAP/LDUP. I believe that an ITU/X500 working group has been formed to address this interest but I have no other details.

For now my guess would be that deleting the creatorsName and modifiersName attributes is not a good thing to do.

Mircea.

Brian Jarvis wrote:

> RFC 2252, 5.1 Defines some standard operational attributes.  Among them are creatorsName and modifiersName, both syntax DN.  If the object listed as a creator or modifier is deleted, what should happen to the creatorsName and modifiersName attributes that refer to it?
>
> My best guess is that the creatorsName and modifiersName attributes should be removed, leaving the object without those standard operational attributes.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --the walrus
> a.k.a. Brian Jarvis
> bjarvis@novell.com

>                Name: TEXT.htm
>    TEXT.htm    Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)
>            Encoding: 7bit
begin:vcard
n:Pana;Mircea
tel;pager:+1-613-364-1385
tel;fax:+1-613-591-3680
tel;work:+1-613-599-3600 x6907
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.newbridge.com
org:Newbridge Networks;Messaging and Directory Systems
version:2.1
email;internet:mpana@newbridge.com
title:Systems Architect
adr;quoted-printable:;;PO Box. 13600.=0D=0A600 March Road;Kanata;Ontario;K2K 2E6;Canada
fn:Mircea Pana
end:vcard