Re: A tricky matched values problem

Date forwarded: 	Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:39:08 +0200
To:             	d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk, ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
From:           	Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Subject:        	Re: A tricky matched values problem
Copies to:      	osidirectory@az05.bull.com
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> My objection is not particularly strong, but if X.500 does 1B and your 1A
> will in some cases return a different set of values, then X.500
> compatibility is broken anyway, and we should do what makes sense, rather
> than the smallest possible incompatible motification to X.500.

X.500 at the moment is unclear and so we dont know what
implementations actually will do. When I said X.500 does 1B, I
should have been more precise and said that the proposed
clarifying text for X.500 (2000) proposes 1B. I believe the sparse
text in X.500(97) would tend you to plump for option 1A, but the text
is so sparse that implementors could choose 1A or 1B. Hence we
need to nail down precisely what X.500  implementations MUST do
with this control. And of course, the input to the LDAP list will
contribute to the decision made by the X.500 meeting next week in
Copenhagen.

> If a return filter is the Right Thing, then it is also the Right Thing for
> X.500, and X.500 should change.

Yes, and I am starting to see support for this approach on the list
too, so if we can get X.500(2000) to add this at the final editing
meeting in Copenhagen next week, plus fix the text for MVO then we
are in a strong position for getting alignment between X.500 and the
new LDAP extension (which could be one or two extensions,
depending upon the choice of the list)

David

>                              Harald
>

> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J