Re: Semantics of LDAP Modify DN operation

At 01:09 PM 10/5/99 -0700, Nick Zhang wrote:
>What is the exact semantics of Modify DN operation?
>Example, assume we have entry for the organization
>named "foo", "o=foo, c=US", we do
>	ldapmodrdn "o=foo, c=US" "o=bar"
>Then what is the consequence of the operation--what happened
>to all the children of the "o=foo,c=US"?
>
>I can see 4 possibilities:
>1) all got renamed to "cn=employee, o=bar, c=US"
>2) all become orphans--don't know who the parent is, but
>may not may not still be searchable
>3) all become grandparent's childrent
>4) all got removed
5) the operation fails with notAllowedOnNonLeaf

>I know in LDAPv3 this has been made clear with subtree renaming.
>But let's say the Modify DN request does not have the optional
>newSuperior field--therefore, it's LDAPv2, then what should
>we interpret the consequence. There must have been discussions
>about this when LDAPv3 came up.

First, it's a LDAPv2 operation iff an LDAPv2 bind as occurred.
Otherwise, it's an LDAPv3 operation.

In the LDAPv3 case, the subtree should be moved per 2251/4.9.
In the LDAPv2 case, a server may return nonAllowedOnNonLeaf.

Kurt