RE: A tricky matched values problem

I think that in principle, you should not reduce the quantity of information
supplied to the user unnecessarily.  That is, to be user-friendly, "if in
doubt, give more out".  Humans have a habit of not being optimal in their
usage of systems.

Obviously if access control prohibits then that's a different matter.  But
if there is some doubt, at the end of the day (or the request, which takes
longest) remember that the user is looking for useful information.  It is
extremely frustrating if an academically precise interpretation of a filter
just happens to exclude what the user needs, and causes him to have to
submit a second, perhaps more vague, request in order to reach that
information.  It gives X.500 a bad name!

That's my pennyworth!

Roger