Fra: David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk>
Til: osidirectory@az05.bull.com <osidirectory@az05.bull.com>; ietf-ldapext@netscape.com <ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>
Dato: 29. september 1999 13:45
Emne: A tricky matched values problem

Thomas Salter providing the following filter:

(OR(AND(mail=sean.mullan@sun.com)(telephoneNumber=47))(cn=
Sean*))

to an entry containing the following attributes.

cn: Sean Mullan
mail: sean.mullan@sun.com
mail: mullan@east.sun.com
telephoneNumber: +1 781 442 0926
telephoneNumber: 555-9999

As you can see, the overall filter is true, the AND is false, but the
mail attribute value matches true. The question is "does matched
ValuesOnly apply to the mail attribute or not". ie. should one or two
mail attribute values be returned.

On the FOR side (one returned value), we have that the AVA was
true,
On the AGAINST side, we have that the AVA did not contribute to
the overall filter matching true.

My first reaction was to say that only one mail value should be
returned, but whilst drafting the proposed textual addition to X.500 I
have started to change my mind.

What does anyone else think.

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J