RFC2255 - LDAP URL Format question...

..How does one indicate, in an LDAP URL, whether LDAP over SSL is to be used to contact an LDAP server at the ip address and socket specified in the LDAP url?

Seems like there needs to be another scheme defined...

Yes, if the well known sockets are being used, then calling out the socket number in the URL might let you know whether SSL is to be used, or not.

But if there are multiple DSAs operating on the same TCP/IP stack, they can't all use the well known SSL LDAP socket, and so we need some way to specify, in the URL, to talk to this host on this socket using SSL.  At least until the last SSL LDAP server is retired (;-)

Have you already addressed this somewhere you can point me, or is this a new "opportunity" to revise 2255 before progression to standard?  I'd also note that the reference 2255 makes to RFC 1738 is obsoleted, now, by RFC2396.

Ed

=================
Ed Reed, Technologist
Novell Product Management
+1 801 222 3944 (new number!)

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Ed Reed
TEL;WORK:801-222-3944
ORG:;Product Management
TEL;PREF;FAX:TBD
EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:ED REED@novell.com
N:Reed;Ed
TITLE:Technologist
ADR;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL:;ORM-A-211
LABEL;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Ed Reed=0A=
ORM-A-211
X-GWUSERID:ED REED
END:VCARD