Re: The 'any' attribute type

At 10:12 PM 8/26/99 -0700, Rob Weltman wrote:
>  We also had the short-lived "preferred language control" a year or two
ago, which would have filled the same purpose but better (as I recall) - it
would have caused the
>most explicit language-tagged attribute subtypes to be returned if there
were any, and otherwise the base (untagged) attributes. That would let you
get a full set of
>attributes back with one search, including "shared" attributes without any
language variants.

>  When that was killed, we added support for doing it in the client (in
the C and Java LDAP client SDKs).

Why was that control killed?  It would certainly meet the requirement to
get all the attributes in a certain language, and not get one's that are in
some unwanted language.

Bruce