Re: The 'any' attribute type

Ok, I'll quit teasing. There are three I think, (someone else here is defining them) They look something like this (these are only vague descriptions):

This one is used to request that a value's CSN is returned, prepended to the value like T#S#R#s:attrvalue (see LDUP for meaning of TSRs)
myAttr;valueCSN

This one is used to ask that deleted values be returned.
myAttr;deletedValues

This one is used to ask that only values, update since xxx be returned.
myAttr;valuesSince-xxx (where xxx is a GMT spec)

I know... Why not just use controls? In the first case (valueCSN) it's handy for LDIF and in the other two cases, it's a solution that doesn't require changes/additions to the client.

I didn't want to introduce the specific attr type options because I was afraid of falling down a rathole and not addressing the 'all' attrs thing.

Jim

Jim Sermersheim wrote:.

> The attribute type option I want to use this with, is one that affects
> the transmission of any value, regardless of syntax.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see your proposal, but offhand such
an attribute type option scares me a bit (it sounds like using it will
be a big change for clients and servers).  I am not a big fan of ;binary
even.

--
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance