Re: Schema evolution

Date forwarded: 	Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:57:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	"Ashish Kolli" <akolli@us.oracle.com>
To:             	<ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>
Subject:        	Schema evolution
Date sent:      	Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:01:08 -0700
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> Hi,
>
> As LDAP centric applications evolve, there will definitely be a need to
> support slight changes in the schema. One well known way to do it is to
> create auxiliary object classes and add them onto existing entries in the
> DIT. Another way to do it is to provide limited support of extending the
> existing schema in the directory (like adding additional optional
> attributes to an objectclass).

Ashish

We have already been around this loop once a few months back,
when someone noted that Microsoft had redefined top (by adding
dozens of extra attributes).
I understand MS now plan to fix this bug in a future release of AD.
The answer to your second way is quite clear - DONT DO IT

David

> Is the latter method a "well-accepted" way
> of supporting schema evolution?
>

> regards,
>
> Ashish Kolli
> OiD Group

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
*NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J