Re: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

David Chadwick wrote:

> Date sent:              Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:06:23 -0400
> From:                   Mark Smith <mcs@netscape.com>
>
> > True.  But it is certainly possible to construct compound filters that
> > will always return the entry but may have one or more components that do
> > not match.  Simple examples can be constructed using OR, e.g.,
> > (|(cn=*)(member=<dn>))  Maybe no one wants to use such filters, but it
> > seems inconsistent for the matchedValuesOnly flag to have differing
> > behavior depending on how many values are present.
> >

> Mark
> I dont quite follow you here. Firstly, the user chooses which
> attributes are to be returned. Secondly, if the chosen attributes did
> not contribute to the filter, then matchedValuesOnly has no effect on
> them. ONly if the chosen attributes were also in the filter and they
> contributed to the matching, are the matched values only returned.
> Therefore there is no differing or inconsistent behaviour dependent
> upon the number of values in the attribute. If the attribute did not
> contribute, matched values is ignored, if the attribute did contribute
> (irrelevant how many values it has) then only the ones that matched
> are returned.

Thanks for the clarification.  So a more precise name for the
matchedValuesOnly flag is
"matchedValuesOnly-WhereAnyValuesWereMatchedAtAll."  In other words, if
no values for an attribute type are matched by a component of the search
filter, the matchedValuesOnly flag has no effect on the values returned
for that type.

--
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance