From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:Harald@Alvestrand.no]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 1999 6:51 AM
To: Miklos, Sue A.; 'Bruce Greenblatt'; mcs@netscape.com;
d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Cc: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: RE: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

At 10:42 11.08.99 -0400, Miklos, Sue A. wrote:

>Bruce, with enough time and money, we could solve any problem...
>
>  however, I am constrained by crypto service providers that may take up
> to 1+ second to go through each variant of a certificate recieved, in
> addition to any other non-security-related processing that has to
> occur.  This leads to unacceptably slow performance.  Any streamlining at
> any point in the process is a good thing.

if you have eval times of 1+ seconds on a cert, this probably means that
the service provider is doing real crypto - verifying signatures.

You don't need real crypto to do the kind of rejection of values that the
MatchedValues control would provide - you only need to look at the cert.

Certs aren't encrypted.

                           Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no