From: Bruce Greenblatt [mailto:bgreenblatt@dtasi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 1999 11:20 AM
To: mcs@netscape.com; d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Cc: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: Re: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

I'm a little confused by this.  My perspective is that the requirements for
this new functionality arise almost entirely from poor Schema/DIT design.
I certainly agree that if you put 1000s of certificates in a single
attribute, you will have difficulty retrieving a single certificate
instance from the entry inquestion.  The obvious solution to this problem
is NOT to enhance LDAP (or DAP for that matter).  The obvious solution IS
"don't put 1000s of certificates in a single attribute".

Bruce
Bruce Greenblatt
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com