Re: correct modifiersName and modifyTimeStamp behavior?

Hi all,

Our server does (b) and that is how I interpret the X.500
standard.

Helmut

Mark Smith wrote:

> When should an LDAP server add or update the values for modifiersName
> and modifyTimeStamp within an entry?  Some choices:
>
> (a) During all successful update operations except delete (add, modify,
> moddn).
>
> (b) During all successful modify and moddn operations (but not when the
> entry is added).
>
> (c) During successful modify operations only.
>
> Our server does (a) but some people say we should be doing (b) or (c)
> (and that clients that count on the presence of modifyTimeStamp or
> modifiersName values within newly added entries are broken).  The
> standards are not 100% clear.  RFCs 2251 and 2252 seem to say that (c)
> is the right answer.  X.501 implies (c) but there is a note in X.511
> under the modDN description that says "The modifyTimeStamp attribute is
> not updated for entries subordinate to the renamed or moved entry." This
> implies that modifyTimeStamp should be updated in the entry that is
> renamed (choice b).
>
> Opinions?  I'd like to see this clarified in future updates to RFC 2251
> and/or 2252.
>
> --
> Mark Smith
> iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance
> My words are my own, not my employer's.   Got LDAP?
begin:vcard
n:Volpers;Helmut
tel;fax:+49-89-63645860
tel;home:+49-89-1576588
tel;work:+49-89-63646713
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.siemens.com/bus-com/
adr:;;Otto-Hahn-Ring 6;Munich;;81730;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:Helmut.Volpers@icn.siemens.de
title:Directory Server Architect
x-mozilla-cpt:;30160