correct modifiersName and modifyTimeStamp behavior?

When should an LDAP server add or update the values for modifiersName
and modifyTimeStamp within an entry?  Some choices:

(a) During all successful update operations except delete (add, modify,
moddn).

(b) During all successful modify and moddn operations (but not when the
entry is added).

(c) During successful modify operations only.

Our server does (a) but some people say we should be doing (b) or (c)
(and that clients that count on the presence of modifyTimeStamp or
modifiersName values within newly added entries are broken).  The
standards are not 100% clear.  RFCs 2251 and 2252 seem to say that (c)
is the right answer.  X.501 implies (c) but there is a note in X.511
under the modDN description that says "The modifyTimeStamp attribute is
not updated for entries subordinate to the renamed or moved entry." This
implies that modifyTimeStamp should be updated in the entry that is
renamed (choice b).

Opinions?  I'd like to see this clarified in future updates to RFC 2251
and/or 2252.

--
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance