Valid characters for Attribute Type

Another one of my pedantic observations:

RFC 2251, section 4.1.4 says that only ASCII letters, digits and hyphens are allowed to express the textual name of an attribute type.

RFC 2252, section 4.2 uses qdescrs to define the characters which make up an attribute type name in the schema.  According to the BNF for qdescrs, the ';' character is legal.

Is there a reason for this?  I can imagine that the semicolon is allowed (in 2252) in the schema so that people can build attributes with names like "foo;binary" or "bar;lang-en", but I doubt that's the reason.

If they're really allowed in an attribute type, we need an escapement policy so we can tell them apart from the attribute type option separator character (also a semicolon).

Jim