Re: Tw bobs worth on TOP, LDAP standards process and subschemasub entry attribute usage in rootDSE

To make an analogy to politics, the IETF seems like a legislative system not a judiciary or law enforcement system.

If directory vendors and directory enabled application vendors join together to publish an interoperability certification program, Giant B might be swayed to conform since Minion A will (hopefully) require conformance. http://www.directoryforum.org/ is where that work is starting to take shape.  To me, this looks more like the judiciary system needed to brand a directory as naughty or nice.

Jim

>>> "David Chadwick" <d.w.chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk> 7/9/99 5:18:21 PM >>>
Mark,

Your long message was very informative and comprehensive (so I
have not reproduced it below). But unfortunately you have indicated
that nothing can really be done about a manufacturer (if one
happened to exist) that:

i) says in all its marketing blurb that it supports LDAP, because it
knows that everyone wants this

ii) purposefully ensures that its LDAP implementation will not
interwork with all the other ones that are around

iii) manages to get the largest market share because it bundles its
LDAP software with other software that already has a large market
share

iv) consequently forces everyone else to follow it in its non
conformant implementation, as simple minded customers dont really
care who is following the standard or not, they just want Minion A to
interwork with Giant B.

In the end the IETF re-write the standard to agree with Giant B, as
everyone now does it this way anyway, so Giant B then changes its
implementation to be non-conformant again, as Giant B does not
really like standards other than its own.

I'm glad we dont have any giants like B around here :-)

David

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
*NEW* Mobile +44 790 167 0359 *NEW*
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J