RE: LDAP Tree Delete Control - draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-01.txt

At 11:46 AM 7/1/99 -0400, Salter, Thomas A wrote:
>I think if you take that position to an extreme, you'll never use controls
>for anything.  The RFCs should specify explicitly what every form of an
>operation will do.  A control by its very nature changes (and thus
>contradicts) that.

I was just worried that this change might break some LDAP implementations.

>In this case, changing delete into delete tree feels (to me) like a natural
>use for a control.  It's a lot like the change of ModifyRDN into ModifyDN
>that happened from V2 to V3.

To me it is different, given the whole partial success, and client feedback
requirements that were voiced in response to the little draft that I
posted.  In going from V2 to V3, many things were changed, and we were
expecting to cause trouble and to break applications.

>I guess the actual choice between control and an extended operation is more
>art than science.  I'd lean towards using a control whenever the parameters
>work out 'nicely' and the function is about the same.

I agree with your point here.  I'd add that I'd lean towards using an
extended operation whenever there is more than a tiny chance of breaking an
existing LDAP implementation (server or client application)...