Re: LDAP Tree Delete Control - draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-01.txt

"Salter, Thomas A" wrote:

> I think if you take that position to an extreme, you'll never use controls
> for anything.  The RFCs should specify explicitly what every form of an
> operation will do.  A control by its very nature changes (and thus
> contradicts) that.
>
> In this case, changing delete into delete tree feels (to me) like a natural
> use for a control.  It's a lot like the change of ModifyRDN into ModifyDN
> that happened from V2 to V3.

The modifyDN is an atomic operation. You have a grant for rename and
then you can rename it. (like a modify) If you use new superior (move)
you check the grant for export and import and move the subtree (atomic).
It's not like a treedelete. (at the moment there is no grant DeleteTree
for example.

> I guess the actual choice between control and an extended operation is more
> art than science.  I'd lean towards using a control whenever the parameters
> work out 'nicely' and the function is about the same.

begin:vcard
n:Volpers;Helmut
tel;fax:+49-89-63645860
tel;home:+49-89-1576588
tel;work:+49-89-63646713
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.siemens.com/bus-com/
adr:;;Otto-Hahn-Ring 6;Munich;;81730;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:Helmut.Volpers@icn.siemens.de
title:Directory Server Architect
x-mozilla-cpt:;30160