Re: LDAP extensions for subtrees.

At 11:00 AM 6/22/99 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>So these operations are atomic in the sense that a single operation is
>issued, as opposed to atomic in the sense that the data specified
>(subtree or filtered subtree) is to be treated as an atomic unit,
>correct?

That's pretty much all that I mean.  In the sense that you are trying to
"serialize" the LDAP operations, I would think that you'd consiser one of
these operations as a single entity so that other operations couldn't
interfere with the end result.  The primary point of this draft is that:

- these are common requirements for LDAP clients
- it is too cumbersome and time consuming to issue the commands individually

For example, my copy subtree routine using the existing LDAP API takes
about 13 minutes to copy a subtree of 4000 objects.  In this scenario, I'm
running Netscape DS 3.01 on a 300 Mhz PII, and the client and server are on
the same machine.  I can imagine that the DS could figure out a more
efficient way to carry this out internally than making the LDAP client
retrieve every object in the subtree, synthesize a new copy of the object,
and then transmit the new object back to the DS.

Bruce