Re: LDAP extensions for subtrees.

Bruce Greenblatt wrote:

[snip subtree delete explanation]

You didn't address my questions about copy and sparse replicas and/or
schema violations...

> >Copy...
> >
> >If access control prevents a parent entry from being read... are the children
> >copied? This would violate the ldap constraint that every entry much have a
> >parent. In LDUP terms the copy is a sparse replica.
> >
> >If access control prevents some attributes from being copied, the resultant
> >copy of the entry may violate the schema.
> >
> >The filter, just as access control, can create a sparse replica of the
> subtree.

In general subtree operations seem like a useful addition to make
directory tree management simpler... but, the complexity it adds
is really very large. You need to consider every ldap constraint
and feature.

John