Re: LDAP C API: error handling

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
> I agree that we address error handling later.  I just don't
> see how saying "operating system specific" is any different
> than saying "implementation specific."  If you prefer,
> "operating system specific" that fine...  implementations
> are free to choose the specifics of their "operating system"
> which allows them to use any of the available reporting
> mechanism...

I think this is a rathole and that we should punt the definition of more
sophisticated error reporting to a future revision of the spec. and/or
an extension document.  I personally do not believe the current error
reporting situation (whether we label it OS-specific or
implementation-specific) is causing significant pain for developers but
the lack of a stable specification for the base C LDAP API is causing
pain.

--
Mark Smith
Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance