Re: LDAP extensions for subtrees.

Bruce Greenblatt wrote:
At 09:50 AM 6/20/99 -0700, Rob Weltman wrote:
>  Bruce,   There is some need for subtree operations besides moddn, at
>least subtree deletion, but the draft proposal doesn't handle
>transactionality, locking, and distribution (referrals) - which I believe
>are the hardest things related to subtree operations. Rob

Yes, but these operations are all atomic, which bypasses the need for
transactional capabilities at the LDAP level...

  What happens if there is a modification (deletion, addition) in the subtree during the operation? Is there an implicit assumption that the subtree is locked from the start of the operation until the end? The client may not need to worry about transactionality, but I think the server does (unless it already implements subtree operations atomically). Depending on the server, that may or may not be a very difficult thing to do. And there is the question of how referrals are handled during the subtree operation (assuming the managaDSAIT control is not included with the request).

Rob