Re: Dereferencing Match draft for the repository...

At 16:01 18.06.99 -0500, Ryan Moats wrote:
I-D editor:

Please insert the following draft as
draft-moats-ldap-dereference-match-00.txt  Thanks-

This is part of a trend I've seen for a while, where one extends the LDAP server in multiple directions, in order to make particular clients for particular functions more efficient.

The endgame of this particular trend is a situation where we have multiple completely independent LDAP-based services serving differing purposes, but with little real interoperability between them.

I'm not particularly happy with a model where my organization has to run 5 different LDAP *services* (probably using servers from 4 different vendors), so that the 5 different functions-using-extensions-to-LDAP can continue to work.

This started worrying me about 10 minutes after I saw the first drafts on Dynamic LDAP, so it's not exactly a new thing......

                     Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no