RE: modifying top

Date forwarded: 	Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
Send reply to:  	<kfenley@ozemail.com.au>
From:           	"Kim Fenley" <kfenley@ozemail.com.au>
To:             	<ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>
Subject:        	RE: modifying top
Date sent:      	Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:21:07 -0000
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

>  A view from the silent majority
>
> I find this whole area of TOP being buggered by the IETF (which is an
> abstract point under the ITU/ISO X.500 standard) abhorrent.

Kim
Whilst I agree with a lot of what you said below, I dont agree with
the above. I dont think anyone in the IETF has proposed altering
standard object classes.

> Just becauce
> Microsoft gets it wrong everyone is now trying to work around a problem
> that isn't.

Microsoft did one of two things, they either
a) screwed up with TOP because they did not really understand
what they were doing, or
b) they did it on purpose to make interworking more difficult

YOu can choose whichever of the above you want to believe :-)

David

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
*NEW* Mobile +44 790 167 0359 *NEW*
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J