Re: Escaping within distinguished names: RFC 2253

Scott Seligman wrote:
>One ambiguity is in Section 4, where it states that the ','
>separator may have whitespace present on either side of it.
>
>1.  What is the precise meaning of "whitespace" as used here?

I think this should be defined in the BNF as it is throughout RFC2251 (throught the use of the whsp definition).  It seems like much of sections 2.4 and 4  could be expressed in the BNF.

>For both of the above two inconsistencies, I believe that the
>cleanest resolution is to consider the grammar to be correct, and
>section 2.4 to be incorrect (or incomplete).

I agree, 2.4 should include these two restrictions.

>The cleanest resolution here, I believe, is to not allow whitespace
>to appear unescaped either at the beginning or at the end of a
>value.  Carriage return should be included among the whitespace
>characters.

If whitespace only includes space characters, do these problems go away?