RE: Beginning taxonomy for finding LDAP servers.

At 09:28 1999-05-10 -0500, Ryan Moats wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Here in Norway, if everything works out as planed, we are going to
>> put up a service which is going to contain basic information about
>> every organization in Norway and if any of these organizations wants
>> to publish more information about them self, through a publicly available
>> LDAP server, a referral to that server will be stored in the central
>> server/-s. Hence, potentially, you would only have to know about one
>> or two LDAP servers, the second being the backup, i Norway in order
>> to find every publicly available LDAP server in Norway.
>
>If I read this right, this is an implementation of the "referral method"
>discussed in the mail between David, Jeff and I, correct?  If so, I think
>it would be useful to discuss this as an example implementation in the
>resulting I-D.  Roland, want to help author the thing (heh, heh :-)

It could be, it depends on how you define the "referral method"

The "referral method" we are going to use uses referrals in the
same way as NSSRs are used in the X.500 world.
This means that the central server contains organization information,
and not just referral URLs, which it will return when asked for.
It will return referrals only when someone is searching for information
within a organization.

And yes, I could consider helping you out with the I-D.

-- Roland