Re: Display name attribute

>> For example, if I put
> > display name "Mark Smith" in 1000 org person entries, would your
> > software complain, or would it simply list out all the entries as if
> > they had the same DN.
>
>I don't really follow
> your last comment "... as if they had the same DN."  Most DUAs avoid
> displaying DNs anyway, right? -- typically using cn, uid, or hopefully in
> the future displayName.

The point I was trying to make is , WOuld I get a thousand entries
listed, which all had the same identifying string "Mark Smith". I
guess you are saying yes, so my next point is, doesnt this devalue
the use of this attribute? How does the user know which is the "real"
Mark Smith, or how does he differentiate between them all. Sure he
can look at all the attributes in each entry, but this rather devalues
the use of the display name attribute doesn't it?

David

> --
> Mark Smith
> Directory Architect / Netscape Communications Corp.
> My words are my own, not my employer's.  Got LDAP?

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
*NEW* Mobile +44 790 167 0359 *NEW*
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J