Re: DN formatting

>From what I understand the [hexstring] form of attribute value is only
>allowed if the corresponding attribute type name is of the dotted decimal
>form.

RFC 2253 says:
   If the AttributeValue is of a type which does not have a string
   representation defined for it, then it is simply encoded as an
   octothorpe character ('#' ASCII 35) followed by ...

It also says that if the type is of the dotted-decimal form then the
hexstring value form should be used, but it does not add "and vice-versa".

>should the application always assume that a leading "#" character always
>designates a hexstring escaped BER encoding?

Yes.  The RFC seems unambiguous regarding leading "#" characters.  As you
note, the RFC is self-contradictory on the question of non-leading "#"
characters.

Scott Seligman
Java Software Engineering
Sun Microsystems