Re: draft-smith-ldap-inetorgperson-02.txt

Paul Dale wrote:

> "Salter, Thomas A" wrote:
>
>> I hope I've addressed this to the right list; I haven't noticed any
>> discussion of this schema here or elsewhere.
>>
>> Some comments:
>> 1. The description of displayName says it's useful because other names are
>> multivalued.  So shouldn't displayName specify SINGLE-VALUE ?
>
> I agree. A follow-up post says it would be useful as multi-valued, but that is just creating effectively a "for display" cn attribute, which I think is silly.
>
> If the attribute is going to stay then it really has to be specified as SINGLE-VALUE, which holds the "if you're going to display a name then this one is best" value.
>
> I think it's a marginal attribute to have; will just be something else to maintain; be of little use and just confuse people who have a tough time with sn, givenName and cn.

  It's a most excellent attribute, well worth the allocation! If you've ever written a client that lists people in an organization, and had to figure out what value to display for each as the "label", you've probably run into the need. Check the displayName first (since that's what the user wants to be known as, fall back to cn if there is none). It's a way to decouple entry definition from entry rendering.

Rob