[no subject]

Copies to:      	<ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>
Subject:        	Re: Families of Entries
Date sent:      	Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:30:00 -0800

> it isn't clear to me how this
> captures the vCard information model (www.imc.org),
> or that of the ldap wpPerson draft.
> syntax aside, those allow keyword properties attached
> to each attribute value:
>
> phone: 123-1234 (pref $ msg $ work)
> phone: 123-5432 (home $ old)
> phone: 130-4590 (mobile $ work $ msg)
>
> How would this look as one of your "family tree"s?

Below the person's entry you would have a separate entry for each
telephone number. The attributes of each telephone number
(mobile or not, work or not, ex-dir or not etc) are then stored as
normal attributes in the telephone entry. You can then search for
telephone numbers that have particular properties, and get the
matching numbers returned (subject to access controls of course)

> How would ACL's work, so that certain users couldn't see
> attributes with a "home" property?

They actually would not get access to the home telephone number
entry. The access controls protecting this entry are set up in just
the same way that you set up access controls to any entry in the
DIT. SO for example, a home tel no entry might only be accessible
to close family and friends and not to people from the office.

> On the implementation side, how would indexing work if I
> want this to be my information model, but I'd like to do
> a search for the person with a certain home city (so the
> search could benefit both from the attribute "l" and from
> the property "home")?

The user would typically specify a FamilyGrouping control of
upToAncestor and this would allow filtering on all the attributes of
the person's entry and a telephone number entry as if they were
combined together.

It is precisely this sort of feature that the PTTs want for their
directory enquiries service.

Indexes would need to built that combined the indexes of the
separate entries, for the typical groupings used by the users.

Hope this helps.

David

> -mda

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 370 957 287
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string A7OX-K3QT-JPTU