"*" attribute type name and the binary option

As far as I can tell from the reading of RFC 2251, I can use the "*"
character as the attribute type in the attribute description of the
attributes field of the search operation, and then attach either binary or
language options to the "*" attribute type name.  So, things like:

"*;binary"
"*;lang-en-US"
"*;lang-ja"

appear to be legal examples of attribute descriptions.  The question is
whether they are meaningful and whether this meaning is uniformly
supported.  Comments? I can see that "*;binary" would be nice to do in
order to not get the string representation of attributes such as
certificates...

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt              bruceg@innetix.com
http://www.innetix.com/~bruceg