Re: Abstract object class

[catching up on mail here..]

> Ed Reed wrote:
> As LDAP becomes distributed, and as the namespaces LDAP servers
> are interconnected, it's obvious that different administrative domains
> will need to manage the schema over their own portion of the namespace
> independently of one another.
[snip]
> Note that even within administrative domains (corporations, for instance)
> it's vital that departments and org units within the larger namingContext
> have their own schema - it's unreasonable for the software purchased
> by Sales in NYC to extend the schema for Engineering in Denver when
> they have separate internal administrative domains with separate
> administrators and namespaces.  But both still reside within the larger
> corporate namingContext, and may need to be subject to a common
> organizational schema onto which their schema extensions are laid.

I just want to simply "second" the above requirement statement. It's clear in
our deployment at Stanford that such capabilities are needed. And replication
needs to play into this also.

I wasn't aware of the "content rules" notion in X.500(93). Thanks to Ed, Erik,
and Paul for the enlightening discussion.

paulle@microsoft.com said:
> That's not what I understood Ed to be proposing. If it was, then
> there's no problem. I agree with your summary. And I prefer solution
> #2 to #1 anyway.

I essentially agree. I'll have to go read up on the Content Rules stuff.

Jeff