RE: Status of LDIF and Changelog?

-----Original Message-----
From: David Boreham [mailto:dboreham@netscape.com]
Sent: Monday, November 16, 1998 10:47 AM

> Paul Leach wrote:
>> I wouldn't mind having an LDIF standard, but IMHO it would be nice to
>> indicate that XML was the preferred way going forward. How many ways do
we
>> need to describe attribute/value pairs?

> Well, since XML was introduced into the discussion, clearly N+1.

XML has pretensions to being a way to represent data in a way that is
independent of application protocols. LDIF doesn't, AFAIK. In this respect
XML is like ASN.1, although it is simpler, uses ASCII encodings, and defines
(via XSL) ways to conveniently display itself. Or, you can think of it as
S-expressions with angle brackets.

Also, because XML is being rapidly accepted for use in the Web, it is likely
to be very widespread. I was at Barnes and Noble, and there are already a
half-dozen books on it.

Paul