Re: ldap_get/set_option in ldapext-ldap-c-api-01

Anoop Anantha wrote:

> The accessor functions do return errors (the return type int, not void). I
> don't think this fact is explicitly mentioned in the draft.

They can only return 0 (success) or -1 (error).  They cannot return
an error type (ie: code) to inform the application of what type
of error occurred.

I would like to extend the API to return non-zero error codes
on failure.  Types of errors could include write-only, read-only,
global-only, session-only, bad opt, bad param, system failure,
internal error, etc.

> It is not possible to have non-integral values for the timelimit in the API
> as the wire protocol defines the granularity in seconds.

Yes, but what about the local search timeout?

timeout description, p20, says the timeval is used for both local
and wire timeouts.  It also clearly states the value of
LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT parameter is used when the timeout argument is
NULL.  In this case, I would assume LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT would be
used for both the local and wire timeouts.  I should also not
that LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT description, p13, does not restrict
the use of timelimit to the wire.

I see no reason to restrict LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT to the wire timeout.

Regradless, this should be clarified.

Kurt