Re: Status of LDIF and Changelog?

Hi,

I aggree totally with Keith and because LDIF is used in a lot of
environments for IMPORT and EXPORT it is like a protocol and it should
exist a document which define completely the agreed standard "LDIF".

Helmut

Richardson K wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have some general LDIF-related questions. The current LDIF
> technical specification (draft-good-ldap-ldif-01.txt) is now an
> individual contribution although it was previously an ASID work
> item. Presumably this is now destined to be an informational RFC?
> If so, shouldn't we be considering giving LDIF a more formal
> status than this? All of the LDAP servers I know support LDIF to
> some degree and it seems to me that it would better if the
> format used to import/export and apply changes to different
> servers was an agreed standard - interoperability between servers
> goes beyond the basic protocol level.
>   I guess if the LDIF status were to reviewed then the LDIF
> extensions needed to meet certain country's legal/regulatory
> directory requirements (draft-andersen-isss-ws-dir-ldifext-00.txt)
> would also need to be considered - possibly for optional
> implementation on top of a "standard" LDIF?
>   Also, the changelog draft (draft-good-ldap-changelog-00.txt)
> which exploits LDIF expired on October 1st. Is a new draft planned
> or is the changelog proposal now considered to be superseded by the
> planned LDUP replication mechanisms?
>
> Keith Richardson
> ICL, Manchester, UK
begin:vcard
n:Volpers;Helmut
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;Otto-Hahn-Ring 6;Munich;;81730;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:Helmut.Volpers@mch.sni.de
title:Directory Server Architect
tel;fax:+49-89-63645860