RE: email address and signed operations

Oh I see. Are you promoting 2 algs per cert one for sig verification and
one for confidentiality? or is the same cert/alg used for both.
I am not sure why one wants email addresses in certs used in dir signed
operations - is that something a directory will do .. ie.  email the
client about something ... from DSA@machineroom.com.. Dear client, I
have rxd your signed LDAP request, unfortunately I will return a
referral shortly... :-)
What happens if the email address is not there. Does the client or the
DSA make a directory request to the Users entry for their email
address..
What if they only have a phone number?

Adding fields to objects seems a simple thing to do. But where is the
process model for this, what are the operational scenarios and options??
Who wants it..

As for defects on PKIX and X.500 - I was horrified when that was added
(ie. the choices of address forms, because there was very little
qualification to it, let alone any system scenarios from an operational
perspective or a process model re the options and the fall back issues..
This is a bit similar to the signed LDAP things.

Anyway I still like my vision of a directory attribute as a mail box
where users can drag messages into it - and mail protocols becoming
obsolete. In addition I still like X.500 signed operations simply
because they dont need a messsaging infrastructure to make choices
about.

Perhaps X.500 is getting simpler and better by the day ... and thats
good!

regards alan