Re: (c.harding 21539) Re: Some questions regarding LDAP schema registration

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Chris Harding wrote:
> The Schema Registry is something that the Internet Directory Consortium
> wants to do. But the funding model for a registry of this kind is
> difficult. It costs, not a lot, but something, to set up and run. The
> costs are unlikely to be recovered through operating the registry -
> if there is a big (or any?) charge to use it, people probably won't.
> So the best way is through a consortium of some kind, funded by companies
> that want to see it established because it will help their business.
> The position right now is that we don't have the level of commitment
> that would enable us to set it up and run a registry.

I'd further add that lacking a registry, the only way to make a schema for
general-purpose use (as opposed to vendor-specific use) is to write a
standards track RFC for the schema.  I actually think this model has
worked well for SNMP MIBs which certainly resemble schemas in a number of
ways.

		- Chris