Re: Some questions regarding LDAP schema registration

>  Could somebody please answer some of my questions
>  regarding LDAP schema registration process ?
>
>  1. Is there now a process to register an LDAP schema ?
>      I remember some work was started sometime last year.

There is no working system right now. My understanding was
that the Internet Directory Consortium was to pick up the
development and operations responsibility for it. Maybe someone
from that org will see this message and respond with status.

The documents are dependent on other documents which have not
made it through the pipe yet. I do not think that an IETF
Last Call will be issued for the schema listing service documents
until the other documents make it through.

>  2. How can I find out which LDAP schemas people have
>      defined so far ?

Post a message to the LDAP-related mailing lists asking about
particular types of schema. Right now, I believe this is the
only way of finding out what work has been done (other than
that in the LDAP specs).

>  3. Is there a process to avoid conflicts in attribute names
>      and object class names in the LDAP schemas defined
>      by various people ?  If not, then how do 2 LDAP directory
>      applications which define a same attribute name (or object class)
>      with different semantics work with a single LDAP directory ?

These questions are consistent with the spirit of what the
the schema listing proposal review process (defined in the
schema listing service documents) was supposed to insure against.
There are also supposed to be searching facilities associated with
the listing service that would enable schema writers to discover
if an attribute or object class name has beed used before.

There are pointers to all schema listing service documents at

	http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/schema-charter.html

>  thanks
>  sanjay

Chris Apple                     Business Site: AnyWho Directory Service
Internet Directory Group                       http://www.anywho.com
AT&T Labs
capple@master.control.att.com
+1 908 582 2409                 Tired of slow directories?  Try AnyWho.