Re: Compromise Authentication Proposal

Chris,

I agree with you about the intent, but I think you are mixing
Authentication and Access Control.  Administrators would want to set up
Access Controls to implement the type of access you are talking about.

What we need is to allow the administrators to:

1. Configure Authentication mechanisms that enables the Directory to verify
that a user is who he/she/it claims to be with varying degrees of certainty
(based on the strength of the mechanism).
2. Configure Access Control mechanisms that specify which users can do what
to specified information in the Directory, based on the knowledge in 1.

LDAP does not curreently have a formal way of specifying Access Control
Information.  This is required for multi-vendor interoperability when we
implement shadowing. Yet another future work item.

Anyway, aside from semantics, it sounds as if we are converging!

Cheers,                 ....Erik.

Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.
LDAP/X.500 Consulting and Training