Re: Compromise Authentication Proposal

Chris,

I agree with you that a barebones LDAP directory is useless in a large
installation, but I thought we were trying to remedy the situation?

The problem I have with your statement about the base spec is that it
tempts people to use LDAP servers to do only short-term planning.  An
enterprise directory should be designed with organization growth im mind.
That means addressing the architectural issues, including distribution,
access control and naming.

In today's business climate, who can tell if your company is merged with
another tomorrow?  What about customers and trading partners?  I am willing
to bet that many organizations will want to share directory information in
order to facilitate electronic commerce or for other reasons (e.g. to be
able to exchange email - perhaps secure email).

Ultimately, I would like to see some of these individual corporate
directories tie together into a coordinated Internet Directory.  Hence we
*do* have to address scalability up front.  Otherwise we build in limits to
growth from the start.

I am not so naiive that I think *all* organizations will participate in the
Internet Directory, but I don't think we should *prevent* them to do it by
design.

Cheers,                   ....Erik.

Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.