Re: draft minutes from Chicago meeting

I don't have much to add here, but I fully support everything that Tim
says/writes.  Let's get to a place where we can guarantee people that
deploying a directory will keep their passwords from going across the
Internet in the clear!  I would imagine (actually expect) that in a single
vendor (LDAP client to LDAP server) solution significantly strengthened
authentication mechanisms will be guaranteed.  One can't demand too much
out of very thin LDAP clients (yet), like the Java ring or other "smart"
devices.

Bruce

At 01:46 PM 9/30/98 -0700, Tim Howes wrote:
> [...]
>That is our hope.
>
>There exist many applications which require much
>higher security, such as that provided by TLS. This
>has less to do with the size of the directory involved
>than it does with the character of the information the
>directory contains, the requirements of the application,
>and the environment in which the whole thing runs.
>
>But regardless of how I might disagree with how you came
>up with your categories, the answer is yes, we intend
>to solve both problems. A bad way to do that would be
>to ask "who's got the most stringent requirements?" and
>then require eveybody to implement that. Another bad
>way would be to tie together solutions to these
>clearly separate problems.
>
>A good way to approach the problem, and the approach
>that this group will take, is to separate problems
>that can be separated and solve them one at a time.
>That's all I am saying. You and others should feel
>free to continue discussing the merits of requiring
>TLS or kerberos or foobaz. Just realize that it's a
>separate discussion from selecting the cram-md5-like
>non-clear-text authentication mechanism.   -- Tim
>
>Erik Skovgaard wrote:
>>
>> Tim,
>>
>> OTOH, just creating an RFC to satisfy the IESG is not really serving the
>> general good.  This issue is real.  I vote for taking a practical view and
>> it sounds to me as if we have two factions here:
>>
>> 1. Those implementing small and medium sized directories.  They are happy
>> with CRAM-MD5.
>>
>> 2. Those implementing large enterprise directories that may even have to
>> interoperate with other organizations' directories.  CRAM-MD5 will not work
>> for this category of people.
>>
>> So I think the *real* question to ask is whether this group intends to
>> address both categories of users or only one of them?
>>
>> I currently work mostly with people belonging to the second category and so
>> my view is biased, so I won't mention my preference :-)
>>
>> The question still remains to be answered, however.
>>
>> Cheers,                 ....Erik.
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Erik Skovgaard
>> GeoTrain Corp.
>> LDAP/X.500 Consulting and Training.
>> http://www.geotrain.com
>>
>> At 09:58 29/09/98 -0700, Tim Howes wrote:
>> >Yep. Let's not lose sight of our goal here. Our goal is
>> >to decide on a mandatory-to-implement non-clear-text-
>> >password authentication scheme for LDAP clients and
>> >servers, to address the IESG's interoperability
>> >concerns with LDAPv3. We will achieve this goal with
>> >the minimum acceptable solution.
>> >
>> >All this talk of other authentication methods and
>> >security measures that we might want to make mandatory
>> >is fine, but none of it is going to happen until we
>> >get job one accomplished. So let's keep focused on
>> >job one until it's done, and avoid confusing an already
>> >confused discussion.                    -- Tim

years.

Bruce Greenblatt              bruceg@innetix.com
http://www.innetix.com/~bruceg