RE: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call

Some comments - usual style

	[Alan Lloyd]
	I think that such a condition will exist while there is no
uniform distributed information infrastructure within and between
organisations. Distributed directories - X.500 with its DIT management
and prescriptive ACI (domain based) and mutual authentication is a major
attraction to those organisations trying to consolidate their
information infrastructures into an object oriented paradigm. None of
these (distributed) features exist in LDAP. As said - one cannot get
consistent (distributed) ACI and consistent authentication - efficiently
- until one deals with a distributed model and all the things that go
with it.

	The debates on authentication and access controls IMHO are just
symptomatic of LDAPs real weakness - no distributed system architecture
and no information management framework. The features in X.500 that
address these auth/aci ssues are there because there is a distributed
architecture to build them on.

> > It's like saying that brute force can defeat any encryption
> algorithm (given
> > enough time) -- true but not relevant.
> >
> > And how do you change a user's DN in scripts that munge ACLs?
>
> This might suggest that using DNs in an ACL is poor architecture and
> it
> would be better to use some sort of globally unique identifier which
> is
> less subject to change.
	[Alan Lloyd]
	DNs can contain UIDs and  DNs are also used for application
names, organisational assets and roles, etc. They need to be meaningful
- not hexadecimal.
	Also I dont hold with the view that a directory service should
be built like a lump of concrete. DS's can be dynamic repositiories -
its a question of how they are commercially engineered and what
performance characteristics they have. ie. We can switch our DIB -
(database) online with no disruption to users - so we can on the fly
change a complete organisations directory information environment in
milliseconds.