Re: Objections to draft-ietf-ldapext-psearch-01.txt

-------------------
Ed Reed, Technologist
Novell, Inc.
+1 801 861 3320

>>> Tim Howes <howes@netscape.com> 08/14/1998 14:35:45 >>>

Psearch is very focused on solving a very limited
problem space, best illustrated by the scenarios
described in section 6, "Intended Use" of the document.
The scaling concerns, which bear on the intended
use, are discussed in section 7, "Implementation
Considerations". If you think either of these sections
need additional text to make the applicability of
psearch more clear, we'd definitely be interested
in incorporating your suggestions.

[eer] But the examples in section 6 are precisely the sort
of uses which will drown LDAP servers supporting
psearch, as presently designed, in dormant, open,
stateful TCP connections.  There are likely to be
LARGE numbers of clients caching entries in which
they're interested.  Consider 411 or Bigfoot, if you
like.  Or consider white pages clients in companies
with more than a few dozen employees.

These are the scenarios you describe in section 6.1.

Or consider the number of local address books being
maintained for email purposes by users of both
desktop and portable machines - the scenario
described in section 6.2.  Mail and directory servers
will generally wind up with an open LDAP connection
for open white pages applications which bind once
and hold the connection until its needed, another
for any persistent searches expressed to keep the
local client cache up to date, etc.

Considerable industry experience with client-side
caching of message stores and associated address
book information suggests that for those kinds of
human interface applications, a poll cycle on the
order of minutes is adequate, and that with even
reasonable design, random variations in the period
of poll attempts by the clients will result in a smoothing
of traffic and cpu loads on servers.  If the client
already is holding an authenticated connection open
to deal with queries, the poll can easily be inserted
into the query queue without doubling the connections
(and authentication operations) on the server, and
without imposing serious state-ful management
issues on the server tracking who wants what sent
where.

Indeed, for the casual client, an opportunistic cache of
the sort used by DNS (I'll use information 'til its ttl expires, or
until the information seems bad, and then I'll refresh
it with information I know at that time to be good) seems
more than adequate.

For the portable client, a periodic poll for changes (the
very search that would be performed by the psearch)
leaves coordination of who needs what where it
should be - with the clients who care, and not with
the server.

Designing the psearch sort of server behavior into
a system, and expecting that it will server more than
a handfull of clients at a time from any given server
seems ill advised.  I'd welcome information about
deployments using the mechanism, or something
similar to it, and the real benefits that clients see
in comparison to the other approaches I've outlined
here.

I've no objection to publication of the document as
an experimental mechanism, or even as an
informational RFC, but to put this on the standards
track seems out of line.

Standards track features ought not, I think, be
ones which are so narrowly focused in their intent.
Being on the standards track, this feature will
become something all of us are measured against,
whether we do it or not, whether it interfers with
other application service deployment metrics,
whether it delivers any real value to the LDAP
community (with its very narrow focus) or not.

I'd much rather see a UDP based registration
callback mechanism established, as someone
else on the list has suggested, if we're going
to proceed with a standardization effort in this
area.

Please reconsider putting this on a standards
track without more deployment experience, and
knock this back to experimental until we see if
it has value enough, or if there are alternative
approaches enough, to decide what to do with
it.

Best regards,
Ed Reed