RE: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call

Tim, whilst appreciating that we get on with our lives - which we all
like to do. It is important to recognise that our lives are sometimes
wasted on documents which by the buzzword oriented - marketing machine
that surrounds LDAP ????, that having a "document" in the public eye
that even has a title like Authmeth or  Signed Operations - gives the
uninformed or very busy people not directly involved in the process the
impression that this solves all their authentication problems

In the process of deploying large scale trusted directory systems, one
can either "go with the flow and provide an LDAP mess" or one has to
present all the vaguries of LDAP - why it does scale - why it is
operationally unworkble, why certficate path processing cannot work
accross a global EC system , why one has to replicate everything to
everywhere... etc, etc... Just to provide a commercial grade directory
service. Hence the demand for serious X.500 directory backbone systems.

Your statement:
"Second, remember that the document does not specify
what people must use in deployed environments. It
specifies requirements for implementors, not deployers."

This view must be questioned.

As said the LDAP development approach to directory systems is now at
odds with a working scaleable and distributed international directory
standard and at odds with every aspect (commercial, operational,
security and technology ) of deploying large scale directory systems .

Any one can invent what they like - Cant stop that.. But please for the
sake of the IT industry and its credibility dont call documents
standards when they only cover a mechanism - and those mechanisms do not
relate to a scaleable system design that cannot be commercially deployed
or provide capability or utility to customers that apply them.

If your statement reflects authmeth, signed ops , etc - Its best to
trash them now.

regards alan